Top Social

Japanese Lesson in Five Minutes

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

This is the picture of Sotetsu line, where the Futamatagawa station is located. Sorry for the small picture, but if you're really lucky enough to be able to read it, you would be able to see the Futamatagawa station (it right on the branch of the line) and Kibougaoka station right next to it.
Picture upload by Picasa

Last week we had party in my professor home (we have it every year), and on the subway to the party I got additional important word to my Japanese vocabulary (actually it depends on how you define the word ‘important’ :-) ). It was started with Chris and Tang-san showed me one station that we would pass on our way to the party. The station name was futamatagawa (二俣川), and when they reckoned that I didn’t find anything interesting with the name, they asked me whether I knew the meaning of ‘futamata’ (二俣, or sometimes二股).

I tried to consult my dictionary, but their explanation, added by Kim-san and Makii, was able to enlighten me more than any dictionary ever exists in this world :-). Futamata means ‘to have it both ways’, and it is also often used to express the act of having two lovers (and of course this meaning that attracted their attention :-) ).

Eventually, ‘the lecture’ developed into discussion on why a river (: kawa or gawa: river) was given such a name. Even though the most logical explanation is that because the river forks into two directions, it seemed that everyone agreed that the river got its name because there are a lot of people with two lovers visiting the river (As an addition, the name of the station next to futamatagawa station is kibougaoka (希望が丘) station, which literally means ‘hill of hope’. And according to our ‘consensus’, this is the place where someone who wish to have two lovers go... :-) ).

Well, I think now you’re no longer wondering from what source I got my vocabulary of such words... :-)
Post Comment