Top Social

The Man in the Silly Red Sheet

Friday, September 30, 2005

Picture taken from http://www.darkhorizons.com/
Picture upload by Picasa

I was trying to find new song from Foo Fighters (well, it’s not new anymore now), when I ran across a file titled “It’s not easy to be me” by Foo Fighters. I never heard such a song from Foo Fighters before, so I checked the song, and later realized that ‘twas not a song by Foo Fighters at all (lucky me that I didn’t have to do a lyric search in Google since Ari gave me the song when I left for Japan, so I had heard it before). It was actually a song by a group called Five for Fighting, and the actual title of the song was “Superman”.

Perhaps many of you had heard the song before, but anyway, I’ll tell you the content (It’s not bloopers, isn’t it?). It tells about Superman (as the title suggest, I think you should have been able to figure it out without having me telling you :-) ). However, the song doesn’t tell us about how great superman is, who can jump over tall skyscrapers in a single bound, neither tell about any other superman clichés. No. It tells that Superman also has problems and sorrows, has dreams and wishes. After all, he just a human (or an alien that looks like human - at least a living being), and it is normal for him to have problems like any other human (besides regular problem of Lex Luthor trying to rule the world and such...).

So, for superman that possesses all the superpower that you’d fancy to have, superman that be adored by Lana and Lois whose mere smile would make the sun seems to shine your universe all day thru’ (if you happened to be a boy, you might envy him for the second reason rather than the first one though :-) ), everything is not always going as he wishes. Even sometimes he has to worry about problems that won’t sweat a normal human (i.e.: us). It might sound trivial, but it’s true that nobody’s perfect, and each has different things that make him/her worried.

Anyway, if you read the lyric thru’, you’ll reckon that most of its contents also fit with most of us. We’re all more than a bird (except if you’re a bird and happen to read this blog. On the second thought, if you indeed a bird and you can read and understand this, you are more than a bird!). We’re clearly more than a plane (I’m sure about this one). And we’re also more than some pretty faces beside a train (except if you wish to be considered as just some pretty faces beside a train, it’s your choice then... :-) ). What I wanna say here is that we’re all special in our own sort of way. And of course with that specialness, each of us also has our own special kryptonite that made us worried. However, it shouldn’t keep us worried all the time, because that’s just the way life is. God gives us our kryptonite, so we can learn to face it, and grow much stronger from it.

By the way, I put the lyric here for your perusal. No matter how tough the going for you right now, just don’t give up fighting and dreaming. As the song suggests, even a hero has the right to dream, and you’re the hero of your own story.

I can’t stand to fly, I’m not that naive
I’m just out to find, the better part of me

I’m more than a bird, I’m more than a plane
I’m more than some pretty face beside a train
And it’s not easy to be me

Wish that I could cry, fall upon my knees
Find a way to lie, about a home I’ll never see

It may sound absurd, but don’t be naive
Even heroes have the right to plead
I may be disturbed, but won’t you concede
Even heroes have the right to dream
and it’s not easy to be me

Up, up and away...away from me
It’s all right...you can all sleep sound tonight
I’m not crazy...or anything...

I can’t stand to fly, I’m not that naive
Men weren’t meant to ride, with clouds between their knees

I’m only a man in a silly red sheet, digging for kryptonite on this one way street
Only a man in a funny red sheet, looking for special things inside of me
I’m only a man in a funny red sheet, I’m only a man looking for a dream
I’m only a man in a funny red sheet, and it’s not easy to be me

(Superman, Five for Fighting)
Post Comment